Just Peace Sunday is this coming Sunday, September 17th . It is
celebrated in the United Church of Christ on the Sunday closest to The
International Day of Peace (“Peace Day”) which is observed around the
world each year on September 21st. Established in 1981 by unanimous United Nations resolution, Peace Day provides a globally shared date for all humanity to commit to Peace above all differences and to contribute to building a Culture of Peace.
I think we’d all agree that peace is desperately needed in our world
on every level as we look at the ongoing war in Ukraine and at all levels of violence. There is domestic violence and gun violence that has increased so dramatically. Practically every day on the local Miami news channels there are stories of shootings, and lives lost to violence. On the United Nations International Day of Peace website is the 2023 Global Peace Day Theme: Actions for Peace: Our Ambition for the #GlobalGoals. Here is the list. Many of these are very do-able, things we can do as a church and/or as individuals. I would like to hear which of these resonate with you. Let’s pick at least one as a congregation and follow though. I’ll be glad to hear from you in-person, by phone, by text, or email.
Here are some activities you can consider and help raise awareness
about peace and global goals.
- Organize a peace walk/run
- Create a peace mural
- Host a peace-themed film night
- Interfaith dialogue
- Inter-generational dialogue
- Concert for peace
- Poetry slam for peace
- Community garden for peace
- Digital awareness campaign for peace
- Letters for peace
- Yoga and meditation sessions for peace
- Eco-friendly clean-up for peace
- Collaborative art project for peace
- Acts of kindness for peace
- Peace-themed book club
- volunteer for peace organizations
- Peace-themed photo contest
- Host a peace-themed art exhibition
- Sports day for peace
- Social inclusion in sports for peace
- Sports demonstrations for peace
- Relay for peace
- Intercultural sports exchange for peace
I hope you’ll be present in worship on Sunday, either physically in the
Sanctuary or on Facebook, as we focus on Peace, believing that Peace Is
Possible! Let us all work to create Peace Day every day!
Peace and all good.
In Christ’s love.
Pastor CandyCLICK HERE TO VIEW THIS WEEK'S NEWSLETTER!